Sunday, September 23, 2012

Norse-Irish Again...at Justin's

Had a game of Field of Glory again in Justin's gaming basement, and I brought 900 points of Norse-Irish to take on one of his Medieval German lists. I had a good time, and hopefully Field of Glory is going to survive the mess of the previously announced digital only version 2.0. Slitherine has now announced that there will be some form of a print release, but hopefully its done in a format that will also appeal to the general gaming public and not just the committed tournament crowd. some of the proposed changes appear that they significantly improve the game, and I'm very much looking forward to trying the new rules.

900 points was a very interesting point level for our game. The cheap Norse-Irish troops just about completely filled the table, and Justin was able to add a knight and lancer cavalry unit into his list. Although things started well for the bog wallowers, breaking a unit of mounted crossbow and a couple of spear armed infantry units, Justin allocated his knights and cavalry to a flank march with a field commander. Knowing these guys were going to enter the game at some point, I had to hold back my offensive spear Viking ally to counter them, and couldn't move them up to support the mass of heavy weapon wielding medium foot. Justin was finally able to charge his battle line of pike and spears into the center of my unprotected foot, and within a couple of turns broke through my center. Unfortunately for him, I had to call it a night because of an early day the next day, but he would have certainly gotten at least a narrow win. I don't think the Irish would have broken, because with 18 units, they probably wouldn't have lost nine before a reasonable time out. But the Irish would have sacked the German camp, and would have then dissolved back into their hills and marshes. Probably what would have been considered a historically successful result by the clans, and a fun night of Medieval gaming.

I'm still trying to come up with a way to satisfyingly play a barbarian foot army with FoG, and I think that in my next 900 point game, I may experiment with some Galatians.

Here are some photos of the game:







2 comments:

  1. You're to be commended for being such a good sport. A pike army with Knights is about the worst thing a barbarian horde can face.

    Your best bet is v2. The -1 when losing at impact makes Impact foot better. Some of the barbarian armies will be able to run 1/3 of their foot as superior. It also takes away the ++ when armor is giving the 2nd +. That and pizza box sized terrain might be your salvation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undrilled medium/heavy foot armies are pretty bad in V1, not sure how they'll play in V2. Mind you, I'm still tempted to build a Dacian/Carpi army at some point ;)

    I thought the loss of the ++ for better armour only applied if the armour is only 1 level better, so would still be there for say, Armoured vs Unprotected? there again, it's a little while since I read the list of changes, so I could be wrong on that point.

    ReplyDelete