Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Battles of Westeros

A couple of days ago I received my copy of "Battles of Westeros" by Fantasy Flight Games, and I must say that I'm really looking forward to giving this game a try. It's similar to, but with significant differences from, games like Battlelore and Command and Colors as designed by Richard Borg. This one is basically a Medieval version, with a variety of command and control revisions, and also with enough setting specific elements that are meant to cater to fans of "The Song of Ice and Fire" series of books as authored by George Martin, and the HBO series, "A Game of Thrones". I'll post a more serious review once I get a chance to play, but for now, I can say that the rules appear to hit a sweet spot in between the fast play characteristics of a board game and the sometimes tedious but in-depth nature of a miniature wargame.

The playing pieces that are used to form the units of both House Lanister and House Stark are plastic miniatures that look to be fairly close to 15mm gaming figures. I was thinking of using a hexless modification with medieval era WRG based figures for this game (something I may still yet do), but the actual game components look nice enough that I'm instead planning to paint them up and otherwise play the game straight out of the box.

My first task will be to paint enough figures to fill out the ranks for the introductory scenario: "A Clash on the Kingsroad."  Below are some photos of the Stark figures, primed brown and dry-brushed white. These also show the figures in comparison with some 15mm ones.





Once I get each batch of Stark figures done, I'll post pictures here, and then it will be on to the Lanisters.

3 comments: