Friday, July 6, 2012

Ogres with a Historical Flair

I've been trying to organize some of my gaming models, moving stuff up to the attic that I play infrequently with in order to make room for the figures that I actually play with on a more regular basis. Up until several years ago, I played more frequently with 28mm scale figures, but as time has gone by I have switched almost exclusively to the 15mm scale. I just can't justify the expense of the larger figures anymore, and I've run out of room to store them in. Also, since I prefer large scale battle games to skirmish ones, I really find the look of a table top of 15mm figures more "realistic" than 28mm ones. Finally, 15mm figures can still be multi-based on WRG standard basing, while with scale creep that is prevalent, that has grown more and more difficult with modern 28mm figures.

Unfortunately for me, the 15mm-28mm divide appears to have fractured the gaming group of guys who are most immediately local to me. Quite of few of them only use 28mm figures, and they also seem to prefer smaller scale games with individually based figures. I like games that feel more like a clash of battle lines representing armies of tens of thousands - this was always my biggest objection to Warhammer Ancient Battles. A fine game, but with its long distance shooting with no priorities, lack of pre-measuring, and super-powered characters, it seemed more representative of a Viking village raid than the Battle of Cannae. At least there is a reasonably large group of Field of Glory gamers within a longer drive distance of me (but still within 2 hours) that I can scratch my gaming itch with, but occasionally one does long for something more.

Anyway, while moving things around from one side of my gaming storage space to another, I came across these spiffy Ogre figures that I painted up a few years ago:


They are 28mm GW figures, but from a time when that company modeled in a more realistic style. These are ruffians that I can picture appearing in a fantasy novel, while the newer lines are so silly, I can only imagine them like anime characters.  These are much more to my taste, and maybe I'm simply turning into another grumpy old man, but they are an aesthetic that I really miss.

Here are a few more photos of the individual figures:




I don't know what exactly I'll do with these Ogres. I love the way they look with their outfits reminiscent of Landsknecht mercenaries. I'm sure that someday I'll find a place for them in a fantasized version of a Late Medieval or Early Renaissance army.

6 comments:

  1. I've painted (actually converted and painted) a number of these GW Ogres. I agree with you, they are full of character.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting, Sir. You've brought these little devils to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped looking at most Fantasy figures a long time ago because they look so far from what I see as correct. Yours look great

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figures but even better faces on them, great characters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice job on those.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete