Saturday, February 26, 2011

Phalangites in Blue

Hopefully I'm not completely boring all my readers with this, but I completed my last unit of phalangites for my Successor army.  These made an appearance in my last post showing the kickoff of the New England Ancients League games, but the painting on them was just completed on the night before those games, and the basing hadn't been finished yet.  Now that the basing is done, here are better photos of this unit:

 


Yes, I know, these are very similar to the last unit of phalangites that I posted, being Antigonids by Xyston also, but I liked so much the way the red helmets and tunics on those came out, that I wanted to do another unit the same way, except in blue this time.  So that's what I did with these, and even though they were the last unit painted for me, they performed well in their first game, fragmenting an unit of Swiss pike in one game, and breaking an unit of armored, offensive spear Anglo-Danes in the other.  And it's refreshingly nice looking at such a splash of color in one of my Ancients armies for a change.

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I like the combination of the blue helmets and red shield design.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to see Macedonian/Successor armies. Nice color scheme on equally nice Xyston sculpts. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice looking unit, the blue looks great1

    ReplyDelete