Thursday, September 23, 2010

FoG-R Arrives

Well, I finally got it.  Field of Glory - Renaissance was sitting in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday (9/23).  I immediately opened up the packaging to have a quick thumb through, but unfortunately, I had to spend the rest of the afternoon at my kids' sporting events followed by an evening open house at the high school.  It does look really nice and attractive though.  If you already own or have seen the original Field of Glory for Ancients and Medievals, then you will get the idea - hard cover binding, with lots of full color Osprey artwork and diagrams.  I have to yet give the rules a close reading, but they seem to be laid out a bit better than the original, and everything I was hoping would be included for troop types and formations seems to be in the book.  Of course, if you didn't care for the original rules, you probably won't like these either, but they are to my taste, and it seems that their publication will generate enough renewed interest in Renaissance gaming that it will be possible to get games in the period once again.

I'll post a more in-depth description and review once I get some quiet time to give them a good read, but in the meantime, here is another film clip from the Spanish film, "Alatriste", this one showing the full combat sequence of the Battle of Rocroi.



Seems that the movie doesn't show the complete battle, just the fighting involving a single isolated tercio.  The combat portrayal is a bit episodic, and there are a lot of what I am sure are inaccuracies, but the costumes and uniforms are excellently done - and is there anywhere else where you can see a relatively decent portrayal of pike and musket warfare?

Well, now that I have the rules, I have to decide if I'll be building an Early or Late Thirty Years War Imperialist army, or a Late Imperialist Spanish one.  I'll be drawing up different lists in the meantime while I await the arrival of my Testudo miniatures, which have supposedly just been shipped from Italy.

1 comment:

  1. Alatriste is a series of books by Arturo Perez-Reverte which are rather fun, kindof a Spanish 3 Musketeers.

    It is his Tercio at Rocroi.

    ReplyDelete