Saturday, August 21, 2010

Xyston Phalangites


As I've said before, I only consider my painting skills to be "wargaming standard", but one of my purposes of this blog is to show how to get those kind of results with a minimum of effort and as rapidly as possible.  I think that newbies to Ancient gaming are frequently frightened off by the quantity of miniatures that need to get painted for a full battle, non-skirmish game, but I hope to demonstrate that it is not that difficult to get their miniatures to an acceptable standard without devoting month after month to painting them up before having them ready for a game or tournament.  With that in mind, above is an unit of Macedonian Phalangites that I just  finished.  I have a gaming friend who is a much more skilled painter than I am, and his version of these same miniatures would easily shame mine, but I think these actually came out pretty good.  Once again, the figures were spray primed with Rust-oleum Flat Brown paint, then got a quick dry-brush with Delta Ceramcoat White paint.  The figures were then block painted with craft paints before receiving a very dilute wash of Liquidtex Raw Umber mixed with Future Floor Wax.  The figures are by Xyston and the Shield Transfers are by Little Big Men Studios.  I did paint the shields white before putting on the transfers, and then the edges had to be touched up with red paint.  Once dry, the figures received two spray coats of Testor Dullcote before basing.  Reasonable results, I think, in a very short amount of time.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! Using a high-quality transfer for the shields makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I do agree, the transfers do make a big difference, especially with an unit where the shields are so prominent. They are really vital for me in particular, since I have so much trouble painting anything more complex for a shield than a very simple geometric design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely painted miniatures and the shield transfers look very good. (I think you are under-selling yourself - applying transfers or decal well is a very real skill). I saw your comment over on TMP and at first was a little surprised by your Blog name as to me Sword and Sandal makes me think of films like Jason and the Argonauts and Sinbad and the eye of the Tiger.

    I would be interested in your definition of Sword and Sandal?

    No criticism, just how I had always thought of the term S&S.

    Good luck with the blog - keep up the great work.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem, Tony, and thanks for the comments.

    I have probably stretched the traditional definition of "Sword and Sandal" for the name of this blog, but it is based on my personal recollections from childhood of those cheesy "historical" movies that for me inspired a life long interest in Ancient and Medieval history. That interest is the primary reason I subsequently got involved in wargaming, first boardgaming, and then subsequently miniatures.

    Anyway, the blog is named Sword and Sandal GAMING - not films, so it does have an emphasis on gaming inspired by Ancient and Medieval History instead of movies. My loose definition of Sword and Sandal films includes movies like Braveheart, the Kingdom of Heaven, Centurion, 300, and Gladiator. Because of this, on this blog, expect posts on anything pertaining to subjects ranging from the Sumerians to the Thirty Years War. And maybe just a bit of Jason and the Argonauts to...

    For Wikipedia's take on the Sword and Sandal genre, see:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_sandal

    I should really do a future posting on this some time, and explain myself better.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter

    No need to explain yourself - as I say on my own Blog - I write and Name my blog for myself, a little bit of indulgence.

    Once again good luck with your own project and I'll be checking back often.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete