Friday, February 26, 2010

Ancient Warfare - A Toe in the Mainstream




I was in my local Barnes and Noble bookstore a couple of days ago, and what do I see on the rack alongside all the Military and History magazine publications? Several copies of the last issue of Ancient Warfare magazine! That was quite the shocker. Yes, I know that publications like Military History, Armchair General, and Strategy & Tactics Magazine aren't exactly mainstream, but to have something like Ancient Warfare displayed alongside these magazines at the front of the rack (okay, actually on the bottom rack) next to the bookstore cafe came as a major surprise.   Of course, I immediately had to pick up a copy.





I've been meaning to purchase a copy of Ancient Warfare for some time now, but I've been put off a bit by the price. After finally spending some time with my initial copy, my impression is that it is still expensive, but not too bad, and definitely worthwhile, considering the unique content. Kind of like the Society of Ancients' publication, “Slingshot”, but on steroids. The magazine is glossy, lavishly illustrated in full color, and seems to have very knowledgeable authors for the subject matter. If you have a serious interest in Ancient History, or if you are an Ancients wargamer, I would think that a subscription to Ancient Warfare is something you really have to consider. In fact, after perusing my new copy, I went to the publisher's website and saw that they are offering trial subscriptions (3 bi-monthly issues) for 50 percent off the regular price. That's a deal too good for me to pass up.


Here's a link to the trial subscription page: 


I can't wait for the next issue to come out. The theme concerns Italy Before Roman Rule with articles on Samnites, Tarentines, and the Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire.

4 comments:

  1. Yes I had heard from the publishers website that we would start seeing them in the major bookstores. I have been a subscriber now for two years and have thoroughly enjoyed every issue. I wish it came out monthly instead of bi-monthly. I have just got the most recent issue and started to read it. I like this magazine as its target audience is a little bit more narrower then Military History and Military Heritage magazines which are geared more to the general population, as there articles seem to be rehashed stuff that you learn in school and is very generalized. Ancient Warfare provides a lot of details on the subject. It also provides further reading after each article in which I have bought and read some of the books. This magazine is well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I find the articles in Ancient warfare better reads then those in Slingshot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next issue (52) of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy also features The Rise of Rome featuring some articles on the Etruscans And early Latins written by Allen Curtis. I just started to subscribe to this magazine and am looking forward to this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd really like to see that article by Allen Curtis. I love his Hannibal supplement for WAB (the best one IMHO), and I'm glad that he is publishing his work somewhere. If more authors did this, given GW's current support for WAB, it would be a good way of keeping the game system alive. Would you be interested in putting up a post of your impressions of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy - and why that magazine would be of interest to Ancient wargamers?

    ReplyDelete